Enlarged and inflammed tonsil, no fever, HIV PCR negative, hypertension

ENT Specialist
No fever, no discomfort but noticed that my left tonsil is large red and inflammed. went to oral surgeon today who saw no growths but referred me to a ENT which does not have appt until next month. HIV PCR negative. 40/5'11/210 - muscular/Hypertension
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

Enlarged and congested tonsils could be due to chronic tonsilltis. The features of inflammation are pain, fever and difficulty in swallowing. So, if the tonsils are looking congested it does not necessarily mean that it is having infection or inflammation; it could be a mere residual congestion of the tonsils because of the chronic infective process.

Many a times, a unilateral enlargement of the tonsils are normal. If the unilateral enlargement is associated with fever then we have to think of either Infectious Mononucleosis or Lymphomas for which specific blood tests are carried out including those for HIV to confirm the diagnosis.

Also, the residual congestion and unilateral hypertrophy could be due to Chronic Tonsillitis and Acid reflux disease as a result of long standing insult to the tonsils by the above conditions.

Hence, in the absence of any associated symptoms the unilateral enlargement of the tonsils can be a normal tonsil.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon