Enjoy glasses of wine on weekends for getting sleep as scared to stay at home alone. How long will it take liver to recover?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I enjoy a few glasses of wine at the weekend, but it is not that which has caused the damage. A couple of years ago my partner started working night shift and I am scared in the house on my own at night so I drink wine to help me sleep so obviously that and my weekend consumption must be too much. I told my doctor this and asked him for sleeping tablets but he wouldn't give me any. How long will it take my liver to recover before I can start drinking at weekends again. My partner will be stopping night shift at the end of this year so I won't need it then!
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 days later
Brief Answer:
No safe limit of alcoholas liver is concerned

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). I appreciate your concern regarding drinking. I deal with many patient of alcohol related disease.

Each 100ml of wine usually contains around 12gm of alcohol. Although there is no defined safe limit of alcohol as far as liver is concerned. Usually liver disease that is cirrhosis is caused if a female drinks around or more than 20 grams per day for more than 5 years. So if you are drinking at weekend only that also in the safe limit I don't think it may harm you.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Enjoy glasses of wine on weekends for getting sleep as scared to stay at home alone. How long will it take liver to recover? 3 hours later
So does that mean that a raised gamma level has nothing to do with cirrhosis?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggest recent intake of alcohol

Detailed Answer:
Elevation of gamma level denotes that you have recently taken alcohol. It has nothing to do with cirrhosis

Follow-up: Enjoy glasses of wine on weekends for getting sleep as scared to stay at home alone. How long will it take liver to recover? 17 hours later
I had a liver test that is how I knew I had raised gamma levels, what in the test would show if I had liver damage/cirrhosis?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Liver function tests, Ultrasound, and endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Sorry for delay

Increase in GGT suggest that you have recent intake of alcohol

Test which confirms the diagnosis of liver damage and cirrhosis are liver function test which is done in blood are bilirubin, SGOT/SGPT, albumin and Prothrombin time, Ultrasound abdomen for liver echotexture, spleen size and portal vein diameter and last is endoscopy examination to see for changes of PHT

Follow-up: Enjoy glasses of wine on weekends for getting sleep as scared to stay at home alone. How long will it take liver to recover? 49 minutes later
I can't say thank you enough for your help!! I feel a lot better having read your answer. The test I took gave me detailed info of all levels, but no explanation as to what the significance was, so knowing that the gamma just means that I had drank alcohol the day before I took the test and knowing that my bilirubin level is fine reassures me that I haven't overdone the alcohol and that I can still safely have a few glasses of wine at weekends! Thanks once again.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ok bye

Detailed Answer:
Ok bye.Hope you will get well soon