Endoscopy showing ulcers in stomach. No inflammation in biopsy report. Not responding to Prilosec. Alternate treatment?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My son, age 10, recently had an endoscopy which revealed 5 small, canker sore like ulcers in hid stomach. Biopsy was clean for Crohns, h pylori, inflammation. A 18 day course of 40 mg of Prilosec has not improved symptoms much. What would you recommend?
Thank you
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query

Gastric ulcers are commonly due to h pylori and painkiller intake - NSAID. Other unusual causes are - Idiopathic, Crohn's disease, ischaemia, drugs, Gastric worm infestation, renal and pulmonary dysfunction, burns, head injury, emotional stress.

As he is a young child and if H pylori, NSAIDs and Crohn's disease have been ruled out and he being better after treatment, it sufficient to clinically follow him up

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Endoscopy showing ulcers in stomach. No inflammation in biopsy report. Not responding to Prilosec. Alternate treatment? 57 minutes later
He is not better at all and the biopsy showed no explanation for the ulcers - the reasons you mentioned. All blood work is fine. What other treatment options would you recommend besides PPI's

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 32 hours later
Thanks for reverting.

If he is not better with treatment, he needs a re-evaluation including a endoscopy with biopsy, if necessary. I would suggest that you consult your general physician to include a prokinetic agent like domperidone along with proton pump inhibitors. One can also try zinc carnosine which increases bicarbonate production and hence aids ulcer healing. I would suggest that you speak with your treating physician about these options.
I hope I have answered your query.

Dr XXXXXXX