Endoscopy showed diffuse erosive gastritis. Removed gastric polyp. Have pain. Worried about stomach cancer

Jan 2013

I was diagnosed with diffuse erosive gastritis on endoscopy and a small gastric polyp was removed.
I'm in alot of pain and terrified that I have stomach cancer.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 24 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Gastric polyps are smooth slow growing benign mass which could be Carcinoid/ Gastrointestinal stromal tumor/ lipoma or fibroma.
Endoscopic appearance of any mass has high significance in differentiation of cancer or benign tumor.

All mass or tumor doesn't mean cancer.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, blood sugar fasting and postprandial, thyroid profile, urea breathe test for Helicobacter pylori bacteria.

Erosive Gastritis could be due to H. Pylori bacteria (a bacteria responsible for peptic ulcer disease), bile reflux induced, gastroparesis and due to oily and spicy food.
If urea breathe test is found to be positive then you have to take complete eradication therapy for H. pylori bacteria.

Meanwhile, you should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics.
You should strictly avoid tomatoes, and citrus fruits, tea, coffee, chocolates, oily and spicy food.
Take frequent small amount soft diet.

Panic with suspected stomach cancer may harm you in spite of helping you.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava