Endoscopy report showing ulceration of esophagus. Hiatus hernia, reflux esophagitis. What the the treatment options?

Following are the findings of endoscopy:
Esophagus - The mucosa was showing linear ulceration in the lower one third of esophagus. there was a hitus hernia present.
Stomach - Normal
Duoderm Normal

Impression - Hiatus hernia wit reflux esophagitis.

Please let me knoe the treatment
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later

A hiatus hernia is the protrusion of the upper part of the stomach into the thorax through a tear or weakness in the diaphragm. Reflux esophagitis happens when stomach acid flows back into the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach.

For these try the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. Avoid large XXXXXXX meals, particularly in the evening this reduces the tendency to reflux.

3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

5)     Where hernia symptoms are severe and chronic acid reflux is involved, surgery is sometimes recommended which is called Nissen fundoplication.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.