Endoscopy done. Suspecting to be chronic lymphyocytic lekemia. Any suggestion?

Critical Care Specialist
my mother she is 80 years old and her endoscopy results showed USG - Mild hepatosplenomegaly with lymphadenopathy at port and also mild fluid collection , she also found high WBC count 0000 and 80 % lymhocytes and borderline adequate PLT, doctor is suspecting to be like case of CLL and suggested to do the furthertest of CLL marker in blood . she is every day complaining about stomch pain , with this age we dont prefere to go for any surgery because she is diabatic patient . so kindly suggest some medicin before we complete the CLL marker test and come to some conclusion .
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing to us. I have read your query with diligence.

Your mother’s doctor is suspecting CLL i.e. chronic lymphyocytic lekemia, commonly called as blood cancer in her.

It is disease of middle to old age. She is also having pain abdomen and she is diabetic. Surgery is not required for the treatment of CLL, except when spleen is much enlarged.

The treatment options of CLL are chemotherapy and occasionally radiotherapy and immuno therapy.
The treatment modalities will be decided once the markers are available. Presently her main problem is pain abdomen, for which you can give her proton pump blocker like pantoprazole and antacids. Pain abdomen can be part of CLL too.

Hope I answered your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq.