Endometriosis, fibroids in uterus. Is birth control pill good?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I´M 43 YEARS OLD, GOT XXXXXXX PILLS AFTER SURGERY FOR ENDOMETRIOS. I ALSO HAVE 5 FIBROIDS IN MY UTERUS, THEY ARE BETWEEN 3-5 CM LARGE. IS XXXXXXX BIRTH CONTROL PILLS GOOD FOR ME? I DO NOT WANT MY FIBROIDS TO GROW.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. XXXXXXX is a birth control pill containing a progesterone and low dose estrogen both of which are female hormones . Thus it regularizes the hormonal balance and hence prevents any heavy bleeding . It's mainly used for birth control as well as for conditions with disordered hormonal balance like endometriosis .
Regarding fibroids till now there is no proven increase in size or number of fibroids in women taking XXXXXXX and neither are there any proven benefits of XXXXXXX on the fibroid. Some females on XXXXXXX birth control ( rare cases) have reported incidental development of fibroids but it's been prescribed by doctors due to its low estrogen content which is safe in fibroids.
So , you can carry on the medication as per your doctors prescription or discuss about switching to very low dose estrogen progesterone pills like Alesse, loestrin etc.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Endometriosis, fibroids in uterus. Is birth control pill good? 21 hours later
Thank you for your answer. Does endometrios usually disappear efter menopause in cases like mine? When diagnosed so late, 43 years old? I have not had any problems earlier in life. Have one child and ate restovar birth control pill when i was young. My worst nightmare would be to have a hysterectomy...

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 10 hours later
Yes , there are chances Usually endometriosis does resolve after menopause, in cases like yours however rarely it may recur if on HRT), or even more rarely spontaneously.

If you already have a definitive diagnosis of endometriosis and your symptoms are not affecting your life or you are managing them effectively, surgery may not be necessary.
So relax and continue a healthy lifestyle to minimize the hormonal disturbance of your body and to help in natural resolution.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.