Endometriosis, bleeding, did yoga pose with shoulders upside down. Will it worsen endometriosis?

Question :(
i am worried that i have or already had endometriosis.
i read about causes and one of them is retrograde menstruation (backward menstruation). today was the day 3 of my period. i'm still bleeding, not too heavily, but enough to wear a pad...and i forgot, and did a yoga pose where i was on my shoulders upside down. is this going to cause me to develop endometriosis or make it worse if i already have it??
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 35 minutes later
Retrograde menstruation is believed to be one of the methods of development of endometriosis.This doesnt literally occur due to yoga poses.It may be happening any time.There are multiple possible factors that cause endometriosis including a genetic component.There is nothing that to can actively do to avoid this.So dont worry about yoga aggravating it. Only suggestive symptoms like dysmenorrhea,heavy bleeding, infertility and examination can give a possible diagnosis.There are many factors involved in this.
Follow-up: Endometriosis, bleeding, did yoga pose with shoulders upside down. Will it worsen endometriosis? 15 hours later
Thank you...
I guess I just am worried because I read a study that said 100% of women with backed up/tube blockages that prevent normal flow of menstruation develop endometriosis. So doing the yoga pose would have created a similar condition, right?

I only did the pose once, but today I have period flow again so am worried that I had lots of blood last night that flowed backwards into my fallopian tubes. I also only did the pose for a minute though. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 hours later
You wont develop endometriosis due to the yoga pose.You can rest easy because of that.As i have mentioned,endometriosis can occur due to multiple factors and does have a genetic component also.Many theories have been presented but none is certain.Metabolic changes,predisposig factors,hormonal changes etc all may be part of the pathophysiology.Rest assured yoga isnt a cause for it.