Endometrial polyp in womb. Hysteroscopy, curettage done. Histopathology shows endometrial carcinoma. Further treatment?

I do have a report for my Mom and i need your Opinion on it and what should we do next , she have done operation in her womb a month ago and the results are attached
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 18 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Your mom had an endometrial polyp for which hysteroscopy and curettage has been done and the histopathology report shows endometrial carcinoma

The next step would be to opt for a hysterectomy

For further treatment, you should consult your gynaecological oncologist.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Endometrial polyp in womb. Hysteroscopy, curettage done. Histopathology shows endometrial carcinoma. Further treatment? 3 hours later
My second query , in the report I saw this
*** specimen:***
Cervical smear.
*** clinical history:***
L.M.P.? Not Provided
O/E Cervix? Not Provided
Clin. history DM, HTN; Case of menorrhagia.
*** specimen adequacy:***
The specimen is satisfactory for evaluation.
Endo cervical / transformation zone component present.
*** Microscopic description:***
Endometrial cells are present.
*** Comment:
Endometrial cells in a post-menopausal woman is an abnormal finding, clinical
follow-up and endometrial sampling is advised if clinically warranted.
Code: (P1)
** Diagnosis:
Negative for intraepithelial lesion or malignancy
Endometrial cell present (in women >40 years of age)

My second guary is how XXXXXXX the carcinoma i, what do they mean by negative

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

The report is negative for cervical cancer, it is the report of pap's smear which is showing endometrial cells, which is an abnormal finding.

The invasion of tumour depends upon the involvement of endometrium, myometrium (Layers of uterus), cervix, vagina, ovaries, fallopian tubes and lymph nodes, which are usually paraaortic (present on either side of aorta) and pelvic lymph nodes.

After opening the abdomen, they remove the uterus and cervix along with ovaries and tubes which is called XXXXXXX (Total abdominal Hysterectomy) with BSO (Bilateral salphingo-oophorectomy) procedure.

During the operation, surgeon searches for the lymph nodes and takes the biopsy from them, as well as omentum (fold of the tissue lining the abdomen that surrounds the organs) if it is involved.

The report is showing grade II, means it must be upto myometrium.
Cervix is not involved and on examination, they have written the uterus is mobile which means, there are no dense adhesions and involvement of gut (intestine) and bladder.

To be more accurate, CT scan and MRI is to be done.

Her blood reports are alright except the bilirubin which is showing 6 and letter 'f' is written in front, I couldn't get it as we count it as a high level. Please reconfirm it. Her haemoglobin is fine, so she can go through hysterectomy followed by radiotherapy.

Radiotherapy is decided by an oncologist plus gynecologist.

The most common endometrial cancer are adenocarcinomas in which prognosis is good, in stage two, 88% survival rate for 5 yrs.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

I wish your mother as speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Endometrial polyp in womb. Hysteroscopy, curettage done. Histopathology shows endometrial carcinoma. Further treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer , I really appreciate it , one last comment , when you say , 88% survival rate for 5 years , does that mean after recovery she would live for 5 years ?

Appreciate your responds

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 13 hours later

Welcome back

Survival rate is counted on whole world population and statistics
It may vary according to the general health of the patient and treatment plan.
FIGO means International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics , according to that your mother's staging is grade two means it has spread upto cervix but not oustside
If they mention that survival rate for a cancer is 88% this means 88 out of 100 people initially diagnosed with that cancer would be alive after 5 years. Survival rate does not indicate if a cancer is cured or if treatment is completed.

Best wishes and speedy recovery for your mother
Any further query is most welcome