Ask a Dentist   »  

Enamel wearing off teeth. Prescribed liquid paste to apply. Took painkiller for tooth pain. Remedy?

I had got my dental checkup done a month back and all was absolutely fine. Got scaling done to remove stains and dentist had advised that my enamel was wearing off so gave me a toothpaste and liquid paste to apply on my teeth.

Yesterday suddenly I have had shooting pain in my 1 front right teeth. Spoke to dentist and got a painkiller which has helped. Today am feeling much better, though little sensitivity is there in teeth.

However, I am travelling for 4days and not able to visit a dentist hence request you to let me know what can I do to ensure I have a smooth trip for next 4days.

Please let me know urgently on 0000 0000.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Loss of enamel occurs due to vigorous brushing technique & results in abrasion of teeth which leads to sensitivity & its very common after scaling.

I would like to ask you few questions to answer you in better way:-
-Do you experience sensitivity more towards hot or cold food stuff in associated tooth?
-Did you ever got any trauma in same tooth?

If you experience sensitivity to cold only then it might be due to abrasion.You might have taken something too cold & it has lead to pain. Its nothing much too worry about in this case.
But if you have more sensitivity towards hot then it may be because of pulp exposure & you need to go for Root Canal Treatment followed by Capping.
If you had trauma in that tooth then go for an x-ray of tooth & consult dentist.

You need to use sensitive toothpaste with soft bristles toothbrush. Leave paste for 1 minute in your mouth & rinse. Also avoid brushing vigorously.
Currently you can take prescribed analgesic by your dentist if pain persists.

Also go for proper diagnosis after returning from your trip.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further any query, I would be happy to help you out.

Wishing you Good Health

Take Care
Follow-up: Enamel wearing off teeth. Prescribed liquid paste to apply. Took painkiller for tooth pain. Remedy? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor.

To reply to your questions no I have not had any trauma in the same tooth before. Neither have i had sensitivity after scaling. It's suddenly yesterday evening that this front lower tooth I experienced bad pain and feeling of sensitivity.

I took a painkiller in warm water and ever since I am feeling fine.

However I am feeling more of coldness in the tooth, infact even I am talking I feel cold sensitivity sensation in the tooth today, however no pain.

So can I for now just use sensodyne with soft bristle toothbrush and not worry about showing to a dentist immediately as from tomorrow onwards for 4days I am travelling on an office trip and I do not want that to be impacted by my pain.

However again I do not have any pain today, only little cold feeling. Infact no sensitivity as such also since I had hot tea but no problem.

I only want to know is it critical for me to XXXXXXX a dentist this evening before my travel or does it seem not anything major which can wait for 4days.

Also what could it be as I have just got complete checkup done 1 month back with scaling and everything was perfect.

Awaiting your urgent reply.

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 17 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

It might be severe abrasion in that associated tooth & that has lead to sensitivity.
You need not worry. Continue with sensodyne toothpaste & leave it for sometime as I told you.
Keep that analgesic with you for emergency condition.
Consult your dentist after returning, if problem persists because it might be caries & require filling. But it requires proper clinical diagnosis before any treatment planning.

Hope I answered your query.

Take Care