Elevation in blood pressure and leg pain. What could this be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
my blood pressure is 178 over 76 , how XXXXXXX is that, and I have leg cramps at night and leg pain in the day at times, what should I do, other than see my doctor as when I saw him a week ago , he just said you have high blood pressure but did not suggest anything. At that time it was 156 over something.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to XXXXXXX thanks for the query Detailed Answer: This is signifcant elevation of blood pressure and it requires further medical attention. If this was just temporary bp elevation then you dont have to be concerned since it usually happens due to stress,wheather, period of day etc. If this is constant bp elevation then you need medicines and consult cardiologist. This is not serious or life threatening if you follow doctors recommendations. You need to change dietary habits,eat less salty food,avoid fats,regulate body weight,do exercise. Medicines are necessary too. Legs cramps are seen in healthy people but it may also indicate magnesium or calcium deficit so take these supplements and see will there be improvement. Wish you good health.feel free to ask. Regards