Elevated values of AST, ALT and MCV. Could this be cancer or cirrhosis?

I got blood work back today. In XXXXXXX my ast was 18 yesterday it was 80. XXXXXXX my alt was 20 yesterday it was 132. My mcv yesterday was 106 and my mch was 35.5. I have also gained about 30lbs from then to now. I have to go for ultrasound. could it be cancer or cirroshis?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No reason to think of cirrhosis first Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your query. It appears that the liver function is a bit deranged. That does not mean it is cirrhosis. This can just be some inflammation of the liver due to some reason like viruses, drugs, alcohol, or environmental agents. Cirrhosis is basically irreversible liver damage, not just inflammation. In cirrhosis the albumin should be low and the prothrombin time will be high. ultrasound also can show typical cirrhotic nodules. cancer is usually associated with weight loss, not weight gain. Hence that is also unlikely. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.