Elevated rash on scrotum, itchy & develops dry skin. How to get relief?

I have raised skin the size of a nickel on my scrotum. It is sometimes itchy and dry skin develops. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
From the symptoms it appears to be eczema. It is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps. 

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate)

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. 

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.Other possibilities like ringworm,psoriasis etc have to be ruled out. 
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.