Elevated platelet counts and low ferritin level. Could these two be related?

I have slightly elevated platelet counts for a number of years now- with the highest level at 511. my ferritin level is low at 40. Could these two be related.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations. As you have indicated your platelet count is mildly elevated. A normal play the count ranges from 150,000 up to 450,000. In that case as you have mentioned your platelets are just above the upper limits of normal.

it is interesting that your ferritin is also on the lower side. this can indicate a possible iron deficiency. Iron deficiency has been described to contribute to elevated platelet count. this may be the case in your situation.

Other potential contributing factors to elevated platelet counts include active infections or autoimmune disorders or possibly a primary mutation that your doctor can request to help fool out a primary bone marrow disorder. This mutation is called JAK2.

I think it would be reasonable to supplement with iron for a few months. Checking the platelet count again at that time would be reasonable. If the count remains elevated it might be reasonable to request that mutation screen. If that is not helpful a bone marrow biopsy might be indicated if your doctor is suspicious that a primary process is going on in the bone marrow. As long as your hemoglobin and your white blood cell, remain in a normal range this is not generally considered life-threatening or any type of emergency at this time.

thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns regarding this matter.

Dr. Galamaga