Elevated liver enzyme levels after binge drinking

Question
I had a night of binge drinking about a week ago. I had around 10 pints of beer and I was wondering how long it will take for my liver enzymes to return to a normal level? I hadn't had a drink for at least 6 months up until a week ago.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

Binge drinking does cause raised liver enzymes but the damage caused to the liver is lesser when compared to same consumption if done on a daily basis.

If you drink alcohol on daily basis, then GGT, AST and ALT all will be raised in liver function tests. Binge drinking causes rise of only AST and ALT without affecting GGT. Usually it takes around one week for the liver enzymes to return back to normal after a single bout of binge drinking but there is variation from person to person due to development of tolerance associated with alcohol use.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Elevated liver enzyme levels after binge drinking 52 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

So I guess it should only take about a week for my AST and ALT levels to return to normal, as I don't usually drink?

How long could it take at the most for the levels to return to normal?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Normally the raised enzymes do return back to normal in 7 to 10 days. The maximum limit should not be more than two weeks.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.