Elevated levels of SGOT and SGPT . Any diet or medications to reduce the levels immediately?

I have been diognessed SGOT value as 62 & SGPT value as 85. I need to appear in medical test on saturday for alternate job, let me know diet & other percautions to reduce it fast , pl suggest medicine . can Liv 52 will work
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

I would like to point it out to you at the outset that liver enzymes are considered significantly high when they are more by 3 times the normal value. In your case it is still within acceptable limits. Mild rise in liver enzymes can occur is people who regularly consume alcohol, diabetics, dyslipidemia, fatty liver etc. This should not be a cause of concern to pass the medical test.
However I suggest the following tests to know what is causing the rise of these liver enzymes. Please XXXXXXX your physician to get the following blood work up done

1. HBsAg (Hepatitis B Surface Antigen)
2. Fasting lipid profile and glucose
3. Gamma GT (Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) and an ultra sound abdomen for liver.

The following advises can help you bring down the liver enzymes

1. Abstain from alcohol
2. Follow a low fat diet
3. Exercise regularly. Minimum of 30 min a day for 5 days a week
4. Reduce weight

Liv 52 is a product which contains derivatives from various plants and roots. It is known to protect the liver parenchyma in acute hepatitis and alcoholic liver disease. There are no clinical trials done to prove their efficacy in reducing mild rise on liver enzymes. There is no harm in taking them.

Once again I would like to stress that, liver enzymes which are more than 3 times normal is considered significant. You need not worry as yours are well within these limits.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I wish you good health.