Elevated levels of ALT and AST. Liver ultrasound normal. Should I be concerned?

I had a liver enzme test done last week. My ALT came back 122. My AST came back 90. Do I have anything to be concerned about? I will have a ultrasound of my liver later this week. I have no history of liver problems Thanks
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Raised levels of AST and ALT are commonly caused in your age group by fat deposition in the liver also called as fatty liver.This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle.

Some other causes are Hepatitis,cirrhosis,drug effect and consumption of alcohol.

My first suggestion is to get an Ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.
It has to be corelated with other symptoms as fever,weight loss if present.

Kindly visit a Physician for clinical examination and appropriate treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.

Follow-up: Elevated levels of ALT and AST. Liver ultrasound normal. Should I be concerned? 45 minutes later
Would a person have to drink excessively over a period of years to have cirrohsis? I have no pain in my belly, although I have the beer belly. I am not jaundiced, I do not itch, I have a healthy appetite . I do not feel lethargic. I used to be an endurance athlete and Im getting back to conditioning. I do know that endurance athletes sometime have elevated ALT levels. If I have a fatty liver, how is it treated? Thank you Dr Mitaly
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

There are number of diseases which can damage the liver and lead to cirrhosis. Alcohol is one of the commonest cause of it. Usually heavy regular drinkers can have this issue.

It is good to know that you do not have any other symptoms. If the patient has no symptoms and the levels are not more than three times the baseline values, then it is considered normal.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily.

Medicines as Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.

Eat high fibre meals, that is food XXXXXXX in vegetables and fruits. Avoid oily and food XXXXXXX in saturated fat like ghee, butter, cheese, red meat, etc.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow queries.

Wishing you Good health!