Elevated creatine levels. What does it mean?

My 87 year old mother is in a hospital.
I understood that her creatine is 109.
Is this possible ?
What does it mean?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 minutes later

Creatinine is a marker that signifies renal function.High levels of creatinine indicate that there may be renal dysfunction or failure.The cause of that needs to be investigated.The normal levels of creatinine is 0.5-1.0 mg/dl.The level of 109 is abnormally high and indicates possible renal failure.With these levels its difficult to keep the patient alive.However,i suggest that you re check the values and the denominations as different labs have different measurements at times.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.