Elevated calcium level. Doctor wants to do PTH and phosphorus test.

Oncologist
Question
CALCIUM BLOOD LEVEL BETWEEN 10.0 AND 10.5 FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS. DOCTOR WANTS TO DO A PTH AND PHOSPHORUS TEST
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I would be interested to know the remainder of the results of your blood test as we consider the possible causes of hypercalcemia or elevated calcium. If you are able, I would like you to forward a copy of all recent lab tests including CBC or metabolic profiles to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

It is perfectly reasonable to start a workup by checking a PTH level and phosphorous level. Sometimes the parathyroid glands can become hyperactive and this causes a rise in calcium with a drop in phosphorous. This is usually treated very easily with a surgical procedure to remove the hyperactive glands.

Thank you again for submitting the query. I look forward to working with you regarding your health concerns and if you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga