Elevated blood pressure reading. Should I go to ER?

Does a blood pressure of 160/100 warrant a trip to the ER or a doctor visit? No other symtoms except for the reading. Not over weight and work out regular. I had readings like this in the past. I am now recording mu blood pressur twicw a day. am and pm. Please advise.
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 37 minutes later

Yes, the Blood pressure readings of 160/100 is high and you will need to attend a physician as soon as possible.

Any physical stress or exertion can cause the BP to rise to the extent of the reading you mentioned.Hence, BP should be measured multiple times and specially when you are in rest without any strain.Such BP readings are reliable.

If the above BP measurement is done while you in rest then , I strongly suggest you to take medical help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.