Elevated blood pressure at the hospital, normal at home. Stopped smoking. Concerned about the weight gain

i have always had pretty decent bp but at rmy last physical it was 154 103 which is disturbing i have recently quit smoking and have been really bent out of shape. well i case home lit up and now my bp is 134 90 which is also high but down to a controllable number what should i do. also have been using my new elliptical for about 2 months a half hour a day and have gained 7 pounds this is nuts.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 38 minutes later

Thanks for the query

You have told us that during the physical examination at the doctor your BP was 154/103 but when you came home your bp came down to 134/90. It could be possible that you were nervous during your examination which lead to a higher reading of the blood pressure. This is known as white coat hypertension.

Your blood pressure is in the pre hypertensive stage (considering the 134/90 reading) a
1. I would advice you to continue exercising and in that please include cardio exercises like jogging, walking, swimming, for atleast 30 min a day for 5 times a week
2. Follow a low salt diet
3. Continue your abstinence from smoking, you have done the right thing by deciding to quit
4. I would also like you to take serial readings of your blood pressure preferably in the mornings around the same time each day and show the readings to your doctor on your next visit. This will help him decide your course of management

I would also like to add here that studies have shown us that there will an increase in weight after one quits smoking. Smoking acts as an appetite suppressant so once one quits smoking the appetite comes back and people gain weight. Also smoking is known to increase one's Basal metabolic rate as well which is the other reason of weight gain after quitting. Please continue exercising and watch your calorie iantake.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish you good health