Elevated blood pressure and anxiety. Normal ECG and kidney function. Taking Amolopidine. Should I continue medication?

Question
I am in the phillipines now and got a general checkup. My heart ecg is normal and my kidney function is normal but my bp was elevated to 180/100. I have a bp monitor in my hotel and it never registers over 150/100 and normally it is around 140/90. After exercise it drops to 120/75 or 130/80. I have been administered amolopidine 10mg. I dont live here and I am going to Japan on Saturday where I live. I dont want to get hooked on any drug and I have taken this drug for the past 2 days. I am also under great anxiety now so I believe that is the biggest reason. Is it good to continue with the drug course or wait till I get to Japan to continue extra drugs.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Your blood pressure is generally 140/90 mm of Hg. Now, after general checkup it shows 180/100mmhg. You have also measured your blood pressure which normally does not show above 150/100.

You are under anxiety, which can also be a reason for the sudden increase of blood pressure. Also, those levels measured using a B.P monitor is not always reliable, the ones used by a doctor done manually are accurate.

If the doctor has suggested you medications, it is better to take them till you visit your doctor in Japan. You do not want to get addicted to medications but still you need to take them till they are under control. Also you need to follow certain lifestyle changes along with this like:

1. Reduce salty and oily food.
2. Avoid alcohol, smoking.
3. Avoid stress, regularly exercise and meditate.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.