Elevated blood pressure after going for a stress test. Why? Taking Ramipril

I went in for a stress test today and my Blood pressure was 168/48 it usually runs 140/80 I take Ramipril for it but that is the strangest BP I have ever had?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work I'm providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The first thing I have to say when I see a blood pressure such as yours which was recorded today is that I would like to have it rechecked. This is especially true in a patient such as yourself who has a reliable blood pressure. There is a wide variability between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures in the reading which you reported. I honestly would have this checked again by the nurse or by the physician who took your measurement today. I suspect that this might be an inaccurate blood pressure.

I would feel even more strongly about my conclusion if you are otherwise doing very well with no significant problems recently such as weight gain or weight loss or some type of illness such as an upper respiratory infection or sinus infection.

I would like you to do your best to try to get some additional blood pressure readings this week. You can usually do so at a local pharmacy. It is also possible that your doctor may allow you to visit the office for a nurse visit to just have a quick blood pressure check.

I am really not concerned that anything worse and is going on here. Again I think this blood pressure was just a random outlier.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. If you're happy with the discussion so far I encourage you to please accept my response.

Dr. Robert