Elevated WBC since years. Would chronic leukemia cause WBC fluctuation?

Hi, I've ha an elevated WBC for several years. Recently a routine work up showed WBC at 14.4 with 9.9 neutrophils. All other levels were within normal ranges. Was referred to hematologist and WBC was 12.2. The next day I went to the er with abdominal pain and WBC was 17. Ct scan of abdomen was normal. All other results from hematologist are not back yet. My question, in chronic leukemia will WBC fluctuate? I have no swollen nodes and liver and spleen aren't enlarged. Also I have no known infections. Urine was clean.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 26 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The level of wbc that you are having does not suggest chronic leukemia, even if present for many years. Also day to day fluctuation is unlikely. Probably it was just a lab variation.
As you do not have any other symptoms or signs and presumably other blood tests are fine, I personally don't think anything serious is going on.
Let's see the reports of other tests, then we can formulate the further plan.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Elevated WBC since years. Would chronic leukemia cause WBC fluctuation? 1 hour later
What are some examples of reasons for elevated WBC? My crp was also elevated 5.5. I have some mild low back pain but nothing that would make me think arthritis. I understand there are several reasons for the WBC being raised but with it being this way for years and having no known infection puzzles me. I do not feel ill.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
We need to look at the specific type of cell that is increased, like neutrophil, lymphocyte, monocyte, or eosinophil. Each of these has specific triggers.
But sometimes if there is only a mild elevation but patient is otherwise well, then cause is not found and it is taken as physiological (normal variation). Obviously, nothing needs to be done for them.