Elevated SGPT and SGOT. Taken anaver, had alcohol before blood test. Related?

Question
hi... i have slightly elevated sgpt (37) and bordering high sgot (32). I am quite a hypochondriac and I want to know if this is a problem or any sign of liver disease or fatty liver? Should I be alarmed with this and do further tests? I'm 30 years old Male. I workout almost everyday. I have taken anavar / oxandrolone at 50mg per day before but I stopped last February. I've also taken MDMA a couple of times earlier this year but it's not regular and I've also stopped for months now. Other than this, pretty normal lifestyle. I did consume quite a lot of alcohol 5 days before my blood test. I normally don't consume alcohol, at least not on a regular basis. would this in any way affect my sgpt results? Also, how long again before I should get bloodwork done again to test if there would be changes in my liver profile? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 45 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I had a look at your reports which showed your good diet control over fatty foods. The usual normal range for SGPT is 45 U/L however every lab has their own control sample. As a physician, we take levels upto 55 U/L within normal range as their are certain factors that modify the enzyme levels which includes diet pattern, some drugs like paracetamol. alcohal, stenos exercise. All these factors contribute to raised levels. At this stage I will not recommend you to go for any further investigations.

I will suggest you to repeat the test after a week interval as you already had a history of recent alcohal intake and get back to me with the reports.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Elevated SGPT and SGOT. Taken anaver, had alcohol before blood test. Related? 58 minutes later
Thanks. Ill do that. I just wanna clarify does taking oxandrolone/anavar at 50mg have any significant adverse effects on the liver? At my current level, may i tale anavar/oxandrone 50mg for 8-10 weeks?
Im going to take ultrasound test tomorrow just for added info

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 58 minutes later
mostly drugs do have adverse effects on liver as all of them have to pass through liver for metabolism. the oxandrolone do have the same effect however they are not to the extent to rise the ALT levels. You can use them with your current levels

If you still have some query, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Follow-up: Elevated SGPT and SGOT. Taken anaver, had alcohol before blood test. Related? 2 hours later
Thank you. Just to clarify, you gave me the impression that a lot of things can affect the liver / ALT levels. How erratic can these levels change? Also, I consumed alcohol last saturday and had the test wednesday... is it possible that the alcohol affected my ALT levels? how long before I should test ALT again?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 hours later
As I told you that liver is the main site of metabolism for all contents that are absorbed from the intestine but the change is physiological which means it gets normal after some time. Alcohal is the main cause for raised ALT your current rise which is negligible is most probably due to alcohal consumption. As I suggested you can test the levels again after a week interval from now.

Thanks

Follow-up: Elevated SGPT and SGOT. Taken anaver, had alcohol before blood test. Related? 11 hours later
I've done my ultrasound and these are the results :
"The liver is of normal size and shows homogenous parenchymal echopattern. Parenchymal
echogenicity is within normal limits. No sonographically discrete mass or calcification is seen. The
portal vein and its tributaries are unremarkable.

The gallbladder is of normal size and echopattern. No abnormal intraluminal echo is seen. The wall is
of normal thickness. The main bile duct (2.2 mm) and intrahepatic biliary passages are of normal
caliber with anechoic lumen.

The pancreas and spleen are normal in size, and show homogenous parenchymal echopattern. No
sonographically discrete mass or calcification is noted. Peripancreatic and perisplenic areas are
unremarkable."

It seems like the findings are fine. what could be the reason in the increase in SGPT if not for the liver?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
As its clear from your ultrasound that every thing is normal. The SGPT is an enzyme that is released from the hepatocytes which is the liver cell. It is specific for liver. The enzyme is released with the destruction of old cell and new cells are formed. It is raised when the destruction rate is high. As told earlier it was most probably due to alcohal intake. Your levels are negligible and are not that much significant to be screened further. they will return to normal in few days

Thanks