Elevated GGT, triglycerides, cholesterol, sugar. Taking tenolol. What medications should be taken?

I have elevated GGT and also >800 Triglycerides, 254 Total Cholesterol, HDL-25,LDL-69, Fasting Sugar110,BP control under medication - Tenolol-50
Alcohol for last 25 Years. Sedantary Lifestyle,Stress
M-56 Years

What medication would you prescribe??
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
There are several problems that need to be addressed here. At this rate, you would run a very high risk of having a heart attack or stroke as the cholesterol is high and you have high blood pressure as well. The elevated GGT is due to consuming alcohol on a regular basis and this needs to stop. Also, since the triglyceride level is very high, you run a high risk of developing pancreatitis, which can be fatal at times.
I would suggest the following lifestyle measures which need to be followed in addition to the medications.
a. Reduce your alcohol intake to the largest extent possible.
b. Exercise regularly. Atleast 50 minutes of cardiovascular exercise like walking, jogging etc is required.
c. Totally avoid oil, fried food, carbohydrate, ghee, junk food and whole fat dairy products. Have an extremely low fat diet.
d. Avoid stress. Meditation, exercise and pranayama can help.
e. Go for sonography of liver, pancreas etc.
f. At present, you would need a statin like atorvastatin and a fibrate like fenofibrate. Since these are prescription drugs, you would need to see a general physician in person.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further clarification or query, please ask.
I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Elevated GGT, triglycerides, cholesterol, sugar. Taking tenolol. What medications should be taken? 3 hours later
Thank You, Doctor.

Just one question - would the Statin and Fibrate have any adverse reaction with alcohol?

Can it be taken after Breakfast?

Thanks for write back.
Alcohol and Statin-fibrate both have negative effect on liver.
Alcohol can impair the effect of stain-fibrate by making it difficult for your body to process and use the medication.
So it is not advisable to take both alcohol and statins.
Statins can be taken after breakfast.
If you do not have further clarification,you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.