Elevated BP in the morning, nausea, mucus in nose and throat. Ultrasound showed mass on kidney. Had removal of gall bladder

Question
For the past year I've been feeling not 100%, my blood pressure has been somewhat elevated in the morning and i get morning nausea and a lot of mucus in the nose and throat -- an ultrasound last year revealed a small mass on my kidney but when i went for an abdminal ct scan there was nothing seen. I later went in for removal of a bad gall bladder. i since have felt a bit better, but still not 100% any suggestions? do i need to have another utrasound of the kidney? i wake up most mornings with throat congestion, some nausea and pain in my lower back --ct scan said 'osteo arthritis' of the sacroiliac and hip... i am also 5'9 240 lbs ..
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Abid 1 hour later
Hi there and thanks for posting your query.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Keeping your history in mind, fluctuations in blood pressure can be because of kidney issue because kidney is main organ in regulating blood pressure and renin secretion from kidney plays important role, so you should repeat renal ultrasonography. A high resolution CT or MRI of the kidneys is a better investigation.

As far as throat congestion and mucous production is concerned, you should get X XXXXXXX paranasal sinuses to rule out the possibility of sinusitis.

Osteoarthritis need conservative management in the form of pain killers, rest and muscle strengthen exercises.

I hope this helps you. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Get well soon.

Regards.

Follow-up: Elevated BP in the morning, nausea, mucus in nose and throat. Ultrasound showed mass on kidney. Had removal of gall bladder 1 hour later
the Ct Scan found no mass on the Kidney -- but you think another study should be done? ... was told that the ct scan is superior to ultrasound and shows no mass

morning is the time i am feeling ill - sometimes nauseous, loose bowels, lower back discomfort ..

Answered by Dr. Abid 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up question.

If you have normal CT scan, then no need to repeat ultrasound or CT scan because definitely CT scan is superior.

Next step is that you should get your Renin level to see its level in blood to rule out possible reason of hypertension.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write back for follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Elevated BP in the morning, nausea, mucus in nose and throat. Ultrasound showed mass on kidney. Had removal of gall bladder 8 hours later
some mornings i wake up feeling stiff and sore in the lower back and hips -- even before i get out of bed ---i am assuming its the osteo-arthritis

many days i feel stiff and unable to walk comfortably for long stretches even around the house, usually i can play golf. but others i need to stop after 1/2 hour or even not at all

what do you suggest for treatment? pain relievers? prescription meds, exercize? should i go to the gym and work out?, i used to be active until recently as my desk job of six years has me out of shape

Answered by Dr. Abid 11 hours later
Thanks for your follow up question.

yes Osteoarthritis can present this way. Ankylosing spondylitis is one condition other than Osteoarthritis where suffers complain of stiff back and unable to walk early in the morning. In these conditions the muscles should always moves and prolonged rest ( night sleep ) can make things worse.

I will suggest you to get your RA factor test as you have stiffness, joint pain you need test to rule out the possibility of Rheumatoid arthritis. As far as treatment is concerned it is possible. First diagnosis is necessary to offer you best treatment,so get treatment and proceed further.

The treatment is target drugs, exercise and often pain relievers altogether. Going to the gym is not a good idea now. Desk job often hamper the quality of life. Identify the ergonomics at the work to improve the life and make the living better. An occupational therapist can help with some good suggestions.

If you have further queries I can answer them.

Follow-up: Elevated BP in the morning, nausea, mucus in nose and throat. Ultrasound showed mass on kidney. Had removal of gall bladder 2 hours later
yes the symptons are usually the worst in the morning, starting at about the time i wake up-- and persist till around early afternoon i seem to feel (better but not completely) after 12- 1 pm ..

this must indicate something, the time of it -- the stiffness, nausea, mucus in the throat, urge for a bowel movement, feeling ill is greatest in morning ..

Answered by Dr. Abid 1 hour later
Thanks for follow up question.
As I mentioned first I would still like to rule out the above conditions. You should get the test to reach the final diagnosis,so that appropriate treatment may be offered to you accordingly without wasting precious time.
So get test and proceed further.
Regards.