Elevated BP, anxiety, pulmonary rehab. Atenolol to treat this condition ?

How long does it take a dose of atenolol to have an effect on BP? My MD says that my elevated am is from anxiety and that I do not have high BP. I need to get my BP down in order to do pulmonary rehab. I was fine for 19 visits but turned away yesterday. I am to take 1/2 mg. atenolol. I am 74, 128 lbs, 5'5"
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Atenolol will generally start to have a therapeutic effect within 2 hours and will reach a steady peak activity within 12 hours.

Anxiety can certainly have an effect on blood pressure and I find the best way to discern if anxiety is an issue is to have a patient use a home blood pressure cuff and then come to the clinic with the cuff so we can compare reading to ensure accuracy of the home cuff.

Your blood pressure is more than likely a function of genetics and age. If it remains high you may need an additional medication to help get it under control.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my answer to be Both helpful and informative. Should you have additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga