Elevated ALT level, taking medication for BP. Is this a cause for concern?

Question
58 YEAR OLD MALE 5'9" 210 POUNDS NO ALCOHOL BLOOD PRESURE MED ONLY. ROUTINE BLOOD TEST SHOWED ALT LEVEL OF 42, NOT BEEN ELEVATED IN THE PAST. IS THIS CAUSE FOR CONCERN? rEG DOCTOR DID NOT SEEMED TO CONCERNED.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
This is a common query by most people who have taken a liver function test.

I would like to clarify that when a liver function test is interpreted there two things to consider: Symptoms and Level of liver enzymes.

If the patient has no symptoms and the levels are not more than three times the baseline values then it is considered normal. In your case the rise of serum ALT (Alanine amino transferase) levels to 42 is not at all significant.

In most of the cases such mildly elevated levels return back to normal in few days on their own. There is nothing worrisome in your reports.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.