Elevated ALT and negative for hepatitis and hemochromatosis. Should be concerned about autoimmune hepatitis?

28 year old male

Elevated alt liver enzyme of 72 was tested two weeks prior was 63.

All other test results normal including other liver enzymes. Negative for hepatitis and hemochromatosis. Also took liver ultrasound and was negative.

Has been 6 weeks since first test and lost 10 lbs. I was 212 lbs and 6 foot 3 inches.

Dr believes is fatty liver. 18 months prior my LDL was 133. Had a bad diet of fast food prior to LDL test and continued to eat bad until I got the liver enzyme test.

Very concerned it is something like a1a or autoimmune hepatitis.

Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Your doctor is right. This mild increase in ALT could be due to fatty liver disease.
Autoimmune hepatitis is less likely.

To know whether you have autoimmune hepatitis, tests like ANA, SMA and anti-LKM1 and liver biopsy has to be done.
To diagnose Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency phenotype analysis of Alpha 1 antitrypsin should be done.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini