Elevated ALT. On lipitor. Drink often. GT test normal. Concern for kidney?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2013
Jun 2013
Question
Hi iam male 62 with b.p but under control.My ALT IS 45 and upper limit is 46.Iam on lipitor and statin elevate ALT .I drink couple of drinks daily before dinner like red wine or liquor.But my gamma GT test is fine
Does it mean elevation of ALT IS BECAUSE OF LIPITOR AND ALCOHOL IS NOT EFFECTING MY KIDNEY BECAUSE GAMMA GT TEST IS OK
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 43 hours later
Hi there ~

Thank you for your email.

I am glad that your blood pressure is under control. You mention that you have a borderline high ALT and are on lipitor and seem to know that the ALT is related to your taking lipitor which is a statin known to elevate your liver enzymes. I would however recommend you to abhor from drinking alcohol when you are having multiple medical conditions that you are having to take care of. I hope you are not over doing it to the point where you would need to XXXXXXX with a substance abuse counselor to go off of the alcohol. Gamma GT gives you a view of the long term use of alcohol but is not the most accurate. I do think that you might need a different statin medication however or just a different class of anti lipid medication and not a statin, fenofibrate for example. Lifestyle changes might also help. I advise you to take the expert opinion of your doctor and a nutritionist who might be able to help. Seeing a psychiatrist is always helpful to allay your fears however. I hope this helped.

Take care and have a lovely day!