Electric shock, sore arm and chest, shortness of breath, tigh chest, weak. What can be done to solve it?

HI :) my boyfriend suffered an electric shock from the fuse box about 5 hours ago, he has has sore arm and chest and short breath and tight chest, he is just fallen asleep he was feeling a lil weak too, wondering what should i do??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

First you need to understand it is a medical emergency. Sometime electric shock wound appear very mild from outside but may have cause severe damage from inside. During electric shock, electricity travel from body from source to earth and damage all the organ in its path.

Short breath is XXXXXXX symptom and he may need oxygen or ventilatory support. Apart from that sleep may be due to loss of consciousness or disturb sensorium.

He need urgent medical attention preferably admission in hospital. Till that time monitor his pulse, maintain adequate hydration and nutrition.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Electric shock, sore arm and chest, shortness of breath, tigh chest, weak. What can be done to solve it? 37 hours later
Hi thanx very much for yr reply, he is still ok he is at work now, but still suffering a stiff arm and his pulse is about double my rate, that was last night, its 12pm now here. he did visit a doctor who was not too imformed, he said will b ok but asked for heart monitor after my boyfriend said he heard people can have heart attacks few days after a shock??? what should i look out for with his pulse??? he has suffered shocks before but never that bad and he is very stubbon and thinks he is tough, what should i do??
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

Electric shock can affect heart rhythm itself. Post shock anxiety may also be cause for increase heart rate.

So, counsel him to at least have ECG get done. If his heart rate improving, then it is a good sign.

Same time maintain adequate hydration, fruits in diet and good care of external wound if any. Advice him for rest.

Wishing him good health.