Electric shock in arm, arm pain, numbness, fingers tingle, weak grip. Treatment ?

i got electric shock to my right arm about a month ago. It held on to me for about a minute since then my arm hurts and stays asleep my fingers tingle its very uncomfortable and my arm/ grip is very weak now. Is this serious or will it get better
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
It seems that the electric shock has partially damaged the nerve supply of your hand and arm which is causing tingling and muscle weakness. Since the injury happened one month ago, the damage should have been healed by now. As the neurological problem is persistent , the chances of recovery are low.
Still you can take low dose steroids and methylcobalamin for relieving your symptoms under the guidance of your physician after other causes like cervical spondylosis have been ruled out.
Physiotherapy also might help in regaining the lost nerve function.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Electric shock in arm, arm pain, numbness, fingers tingle, weak grip. Treatment ? 3 hours later
The pain, tingle, and weakness has just got worse since it happen. I cant hold a spoon longer then 10 minutes or push the gas on my 4 wheeler longer then 10 mins without my arm and hand going numb and tingle. Feels like I have 5olbs of weight on that arm at times. I cant sleep on that side without pain. Its something ive never had before until I got shocked.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

If there is gradual worsening of symptoms then you need to have an MRI of your cervical spine to rule out nerve impingement at the spinal level due to cervical spondylosis in consultation with your orthopaedician. Early medical attention is a must for good recovery.

The nervous system (brain, spinal cord, and nerves) is very sensitive to electric shock injury, and neurological problems are the most common consequences suffered by electric shock victims. Neurological damage can be minor and clear up on its own or with medical treatment or can be severe and permanent

You can also do the following tests
1.Complete blood count (CBC)
2.Urine test for muscle enzymes, to screen for muscle injury
3.X rays or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to look for fractures or dislocations, both of which may be caused by electrocution

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.