Elbow pain, software engineer, tendinitis, rest, immobilization, NSAIDs

I am 27 year old , I have been suffering because of the mild Elbow pain for last 2 years . I am a software engineer by proffession. I am not sure why this could have happened because of over usage of computer keyborad or for lifting some weights. previously it was for both the elbows and toe middle bone. now its only to the Right Elbow I have got fed up seeing orthopedicians . one doctor has taken Xray and given 8-9 pills a day .. when I have changed the doctor . He asked me to go through some blood tests which came very normal. he asked me to take some mild pain killers there after , but it was of no use .. he just kept changing the pain killers but nothing came out. Finally I stoped seeing doctors and started to live with the pain.

The pain comes outer side of the elbow exactly in the tendon of the join. it pains , but it is not severe. I am confused
I am not sure who treats with this kinda of disease .. I suspect it may be something like .. Tennis elbow , Golfers elbow or orthitis ..but i dont have any swelling .. for some relive intially I have tried massaging with some oils and Iceing and resting & wearing elbow gaurds . but it was just temporary relive .... i need some permanent solution So Please advice which Doctor i have to see to get rid of this
Please suggest me some good solution for this
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 41 minutes later

From the description of the pain, it seems that you might be having tendinitis of the elbow joint tendons.

Tendinitis is inflammation, irritation, and swelling of a tendon, which is the fibrous structure that joins muscle to bone. Major symptoms include - Pain and tenderness along a tendon, usually near a joint, that is worse with movement or activity.

Persistent Forceful hand motions (as in computer users) causes wear and tear of the tendons and this over time results in inflammation.

Treatment includes medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation.

But the most important factor on which recovery depends is Rest or immobilization of the affected tendons. This may be achieved using a splint or a removable brace. The application of heat or cold to the affected area can also help.

Medications such as NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen, can also reduce both pain and inflammation. In severe cases, Steroid injections into the tendon sheath might be needed.

The other important factor is physiotherapy. this helps stretch and strengthen the muscle and tendon and can restore the tendon's ability to function properly, improve healing, and prevent future injury.

Usually Symptoms improve with treatment and rest. If possible try to take a period of rest from your work as this will help in early recovery.

If rest is not taken the condition worsens, and irreparable damage can occur and you might need surgical procedures like tendon repair or transfer to help your hand and arm movements.

You might consult a experienced orthopedic surgeon who can treat and advice you accordingly. In addition consulting a physiotherapist will also help.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.