Elbow hurting, pain, fingers tingling, swollen. Will heat therapy or ibuprofen help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
The side of my left elbow (inside) suddenly started hurting yesterday. I cannot move my arm up without pain or push on anything with my fingers. My fingers are also tingling.... It also seems to be swollen and pain radiates up and down the arm. Should I take Ibuprofin and apply heat?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Ibuprofen and heat can be tried and it will help but it is good to understand the problem too.

Pain on the inside of elbow with tingling in fingers may occur probably be due to inflammation of the tendons or nerve inflammation caused by stress.

Diagnosis can vary from carpal tunnel syndrome to bursitis and tennis elbow. Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your arm and elbow will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Wrist and forearm stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.