Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Have an enlarging aorta. Can I have sex or masturbate? Heart be harmed?

Question
I am a 33 year old male with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Classic/Hypermobility type (non vascular) However i do have an enlarging aorta. In feb 2010 it was 3.0 and now is 3.5. My question is, is it safe for me to have sex and or masturbate, or is that a bad idea with my heart condition?
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 44 minutes later

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Cardiology, working with an experienced cardiologist. I answer on his behalf.

There are no clinically proven studies to establish the relation between sexual activity and the enlarging aorta. However, I draw a few references for you.

The enlarged aorta of 3.5 cms in your heart needs annual ultrasound imaging to monitor for further dilatation. Patients with a diameter of less than 3 cm require no follow up at all. There is no restriction of daily activities in both these cases.

Therefore, I do not see a reason as to why you cannot have sex or masturbate. In addition, I do not think it is a bad idea. You may as well go ahead with your normal sexual functions.

I hope to have been of some help to you. Please do write back in case of further follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Have an enlarging aorta. Can I have sex or masturbate? Heart be harmed? 17 hours later
As I mentioned before I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Classic/Hypermobility type (non vascular). I am a 33 year old male, 5'7 118lbs. In Feb 2011 my aorta was 3.0. In Feb of 2012 it was 3.5. If you were my dr would you find that size difference alarming in just 12 months time? What can I do to make sure I am not going to get a dissection.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I am sorry; I cannot answer this question specifically as my experience with aortic dissection is limited. However you may prevent an aortic dissection from occurring by the following ways:

a) Keep your blood pressure under control (keep it normal).

b) Regular cholesterol checks

c) Inflammatory conditions like frequent infections, high blood sugar are known to damage the inner lining of the aorta, hence keep a check and take early treatment.

d) Intense weight lifting and cocaine use (in case you use it) increases the risk of aortic dissection.

If I were your doctor, I would call you for an annual ultrasound check to assess the status of the enlarging aorta. I would keep the surgical repair on hold, till the time you develop new symptoms or the aortic size reaches 4.5.

May be, I would never operate on you. I would manage you medically and optimally.

Hope this helps. It was a pleasure interacting with you.

Please write back in case you need further clarifications.

Wish you a healthy life.

Follow-up: Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Have an enlarging aorta. Can I have sex or masturbate? Heart be harmed? 8 hours later
Ok so even though I already know I have Ehlers Danlos and have increased from 3.0 to 3.5 in less than a year, if you were my dr you would not be concerned that at any time right now I could have a dissection? Because that's all i think about. I worried every time I cough or sneeze or laugh that its going cause a dissection.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 hours later

No, I would not think of an aortic dissection occurring in you anytime now.

Please do not worry about coughing, sneezing or laughing; they are not going to trigger a dissection.

You should feel more comfortable and live comfortable.

An acute episode of tearing kind of chest pain should arouse a suspicion of aortic dissection. However, the possibility is very very rare and not expected in you.

Hope I have been clear to you.