Egg like protrusion on upper left side of groin area. Done strenuous biking. How long will it take to heal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just discovered an egglike protrusion on the upper left side of my groin area. There is no pain but if I exert strenght into my lower abdomen it puffs of like a half an egg. Do I need to do anything or can I just watch to see if it will heal by itself. I noticed it happened after doing some very strenuous biking on hills which I do only once in a great while.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
It sounds like inguinal hernia. This is commonly seen especially in people that do exercise and sports. If there is protrusion of hernia during cough or whike doing abs,then this is definitely hernia. It wont heal spontaneously,but also it wont cause some serious symptoms unless it become strangulated. In this case you would have pain and redness in groin area. So it can only be surgically repaired by simple one hour procedure in local anasthesia. It is up to you will yoh nd when undergo surgery. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask regards
Follow-up: Egg like protrusion on upper left side of groin area. Done strenuous biking. How long will it take to heal? 25 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I couldn't understand the sentence you wrote towards the end: "It is up to you will yoh nd when undergo surgery". Could you please explain what you meant? Thank you for your time and attention. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
it means that you decide if you want to have surgical repir or not depending on how much it bothers you. If you have pain o burning sensation aroubd it then consult surgeon. I recommend to have surgery as soon as you can because it wont pull back completely by itself and surgery is simple and permanent solution.