Effects of cocaine on a breastfed baby. Mother has consumed cocaine. Advice how long she has to wait to breast feed her baby?

Hi, what can the effects of cocaine use be on a breastfed baby, if the mother has taken a small quantity (one line)? How long does the mother have to wait until she breast feeds again?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Hi Apaspali

Thanks for the query

The untoward effect of cocaine in infants is likely to be more severe than that of adults, when compared to the the same dose in adults, particularly the brain effects, cardiac effects and respiratoy effects

Therefore, it can cause "sudden infant death syndrome" brain hemorrhage leading to cerebral infarct

When cocaine is ingested it is partly metabolized in liver, and the infant liver enzymes breaks down cocaine slowly leading to increase in blood level of cocaine. therefore the side effects are likely to be likely and severe.

Half life of cocaine is 30 t0 90 minutes. It can be detected in urine by urine testing till after 24 to 120 hours, usually, after a small dose. After heavy use it can be detectable till 2 weeks

Therefore, I would suggest to do a urine test for cocaine for knowing when exactly to breast feed. But the rough guide is 24 to 120 hours

I would urge to remain away from repeat intake of cocaine for better growth and development of the baby

Hope this will help
Follow-up: Effects of cocaine on a breastfed baby. Mother has consumed cocaine. Advice how long she has to wait to breast feed her baby? 1 hour later
Hi, could you please send links to relevant studies, if any?
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 34 minutes later
The figures that I mentioned in my answer is from standard text book on psychiatry and addiction i.e "kaplan and sadock comprehenshive text book of psychiatry".

Alternatively, you can refer to the study -- " J Anal Toxicol. 2003 Oct;27(7):386-401. Urine testing for cocaine abuse: metabolic and excretion patterns following different routes of administration and methods for detection of false-negative results. Cone EJ, Sampson-Cone AH, XXXXXXX WD, Huestis MA, Oyler JM.
Source: ConeChem Research, LLC, Severna Park, Maryland 0000, USA. YYYY@YYYY "

Hope this helps