Effect of methadone in pregnancy

Hello have been looking into adopting a family members baby due in november she has been on methadone for her whole pregnancy i was wondering the long and short term affects that has on a child? I have two young boys and would not want to take on something that would take away from them thank you
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 3 hours later
Hello there.

Methadone is used to treat opioid addiction. It can cause serious side effects and complications in the fetus and newborn.

The short term side effects in the baby include low birth weight, nausea and vomiting. Drop in blood pressure and heart rate is also seen. Mental confusion and raised intracranial (head) pressure can occur. Jaundice and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is also seen in such babies.

Long term side effects include mild behavorial disturbances. Babies with initial growth deficits usually recover from the same.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.
Follow-up: Effect of methadone in pregnancy 41 minutes later
In your professional opinion would you take on a child with this having two already?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 19 minutes later
Hello and thanks for writing back.

Adopting a child is indeed a noble decision and I presume you desire to give this child an opportunity to grow in harmony and away from any drug influence.

If it is solely for the upliftment and welfare for the would be adopted child, then you ought to know that this child will require extra personal attention at the cost of your other kids. I just feel this to be a possibility.

You must keep in mind the sibling rivalry borne out of adopting a child.

So your decision must be a categorical one and something you should cherish for the rest of your life. A decision which is centered around your interests and not influenced by society. Not even your own family or kin.

Wishing you all the very best.