Eczema, bloating, gas, loose stools, leg cramps, headaches. Food allergies ?

ENT Specialist
my five year old daughter has a history of severe eczema, bloating/gas, and loose stools. She also has leg cramping, itchy skin, headaches, and stomach aches. Her mood can change drastically after certain foods are eaten and she is hyperactive. she has had intradermal skin testing, skin prick test, blood test, stool test, and EFT testing (kinesiology) all of which provide different results. My question is this: why would the test results differ and how can we interpret this, can food allergies have a delayed reaction, and what do you recommend with diet? my daughter is suffering, please help!
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 50 minutes later

It is clear that your daughter is suffering from severe allergic condition like eczema, itching and all other conditions are related to this.

Again from the history, I Can say that she has food allergy, which is responsible for all these problems.

Now let me tell you about this condition--- Actually, any allergy has mainly 2 components.

1- Early reaction.

2- Delayed reaction.

The early response is acute onset of symptoms, just after the inhalation of allergens, it is an IgE mediated reaction and leads into severe sneezing, eczema, watering from eyes, throat itching, headache, watering from nose.

This is some times followed by delayed reaction, in which the patient experiences with all the above mentioned symptoms but with decreased intensity, and these symptoms appear, about 24 hours to even 7 days in between.

What you will have to do now--

The most important treatment of allergy is AVOIDANCE OF ALLERGEN. Try not to give your daughter, the packed food mixed with preservatives, avoid mineral water. etc.

Secondly, consult a paediatrician, and your doctor will prescribe her, mild steroids like deflazacort, along with nonsedative antiallergic drug.

Please do not think about the investigation results for allergy, the skin tests are not confirmatory tests, it just gives an idea about the condition.

What your daughter needs is proper care, and drugs, And I believe that she will be all right soon.

Hope this answer will help you and I am ready for future follow ups ( if any).