Eczema. Is this curable or not?

I am suffering from eczema from last 3+ yrs, and i am not able to get relief. Can you pls help me in elaborating whether it is curable or not.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 33 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

"Curability" depends upon the type of eczema.

1. If it is mild and limited to a particular body area, the chances of "cure" are high. Please be informed that the medication helps in controlling the disease and alleviating the symptoms. "Cure" is often achieved by the body itself.

2. If the disease is widespread, chances of cure are low. If your symptoms are getting controlled with creams (I see you are using tacrolimus) and antihistaminics, it's good. The problem arises when you need oral steroids or other immunosuppressants to control your eczema.

If your eczema is intractable with very frequent and severe relapses, you may try Phototherapy which is a safe and long term treatment modality.

I hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.
Please accept this answer if you do not have any other queries.

Best wishes