Echocardiogram showing moderately dilated left atrium. Should I be concerned?

What does it mean - I just had an echocardiogram report and it said I had mild-moderately dilated by 2D in the left atrium - is this serious? I'm a female -55 Is this something to be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

A moderately dilated left atrium means, you could be having a mitral valvular heart disease. It could be a obstructive type(Mitral stenosis) or regurgitant type(Mitral regurgitation).

Your condition is not severe enough to cause noticeable symptoms.

The seriousness of the condition can not be determined with just the information provided by you.

A report such as this will also require a careful clinical examination by a cardiologist and consideration of all the other parameters in the test report and also the pre-existing conditions if any.

Please discuss this with a cardiologist to better understand you condition.

Is this something to be concerned about? --- Yes, you need to be concerned about it as this can get worse over time.

So I suggest you consult a cardiologist in the near future to diagnose the problem and to manage it appropriately.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please write back if you have further queries.

Please accept this answer if you do not have any additional concerns at this time.