Echo showed mild leak in the mitral valve. Done with HDL, LDL and triglyceride test. Further?

Cardiologist, Interventional
This is for Dr. Prabhaker Koregol, I wrote to you around 2 weeks ago and I wanted to update yuu on my visit to my primary doctor who is an internist. I had all my bloodwork sent to him which was superb. My total choesterol was 187, HDL 72, LDL 102, Triglyserides 64 and the ratio is 2.6, everything elsse was very good. I had an EKG done in his office and he said it is excellent. I am 72 years old and I do take care of myself health wise, and I eat a healthy diet & exercise 30 min a day. He told me too take 1,000 of vitamin D. I forgot to ask him, if it is necessary for me to have an echocardiogram, because my identical twin sister had it taken, which her doctor wanted her to take, because he heard a slight murmur. The Echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve, and its nothing to worry about. Is it generic? Do you think I should ask him about if it is necessary for me to get one.

Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

I guess you need to just have medicine that are prescribed. Though there are genetic causes it unlikely to be so in your sisters case.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.