Echo report shows prolapse of AML into LA. What does it mean? Have palpitations

I am 30 yrs old. Recently I visited a cardiologist for palpitation problem. He took ECHO. In the report remarks, it was mentioned like "Systolic prolapse of AML into LA present". What does it mean? When I asked about that, he said it is common variation and nothing to worry. Please provide more clarity
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Let me try and explain. Your heart has basically 4 chambers: Right atrium, left atrium, right ventricle and left ventricle. Now, there are valves between the left atrium and left ventricle which ensure the blood flows in the right direction. This valve is called the mitral valve which is like 2 leaves overlapping each other. One of these leaves is called the anterior mitral leaflet (AML in your report). It is the duty of the left ventricle to pump blood into the whole body. Consequently, the pressure generated here must be very high. The phase during which the LV pumps blood is called the systole. During this phase, in some people, normally the mitral leaflets go back into the left atrium(LA) ( due to the pressure).
Thus this is a normal phenomenon and not something you need to be worried about.
I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.