Echo report showing a hepatic cyst. What are the treatment options?

General Surgeon
Hello, My mother has developed a small cyst in the left lobe measuring 2. cm, we did a ECHO scan and it said

Hepatic simple cyst. needed opinion about the same
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Simple hepatic cysts arise due malformation of bile ducts in the liver. Rarely, when large, they can cause bile duct obstruction, secondary infection or very rarely rupture. Some may require surgical drainage.
Simple liver cysts are not inherited and are unrelated to polycystic disease of the liver, in which there are many more cysts.
They are seen in 1% and 2.5% of the people. They affect all age groups, but occur more frequently as age increases.
Simple cysts usually don`t have any symptoms and they are detected during routine ultrasound, a computerised tomography scan (CT scan) or magnetic resonance imaging scan (MRI scan). Larger cysts may occasionally cause some dull pain
Simple liver cysts generally do not require treatment unless they become large enough to cause pain. Fluid from the cyst can be aspirated if large and symptomatic. However, fluid generally refills the cyst. There is another method called de-roofing in which a part of the wall of the cyst is removed.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Warm regards
Follow-up: Echo report showing a hepatic cyst. What are the treatment options? 34 minutes later
Dear Dr.Rajinder

thanks for your reply, was only following up with my query, we have infact met a doctor who has suggested medicines such as : Dicloran -A, but after taking the tablets she feels pain the abdomen, would you suggest anything regarding this.

If you have any alternative medicines for the same.Doctor here as suggested the cyst would be gone in few days after taking the medicines.

thank you

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 29 minutes later

Nice to see you again.

Dicloran -A is an analgesic or painkiller . In my opinion It is not going to make cyst disappear.

There is no medical treatment for simple cyst and generally no treatment is required if it is small and asymptomatic.

2cm cyst is quite small, so no treatment is indicated at this stage ,post drug pain can be due to some other cause.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.