Eating normal and maintaining proper weight, not having BM in years. Any suggestion?

Wife has not had a bowel for years she did not realize the risk of this. She is perfectly normal 31 yr but I believe there could be something (behind the scenes if you will) happening. We are going to try an olive oil methoud I have found there a what appears to be women only who have this problem, not a lot but they are out there please dont say that is not possible because I assure it is.
To echo above statement, I too was in disbelief untill I started doing some research onliine and while few there are women who have not had bowels in years. My wife is not bloated, overweight, nausious, jaundice, you would swear she is in perfect health she is 5'5" about 120lbs Native American/Itallian. She walks on a treadmill, she is a CNA and is fit so I would have never known AND she would have never told me if I was not persistent in questioning her. Please understand this is an embarassing thing to discuss for anyone which causes me to think this is why the problem can go on so long.
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
As much as I want to believe her story , it seems impossible
for a person who is eating normal and maintaining proper
weight , not to have a BM in years. There are people who
have a bowel movement twice a week or thrre times a week,
may be even once a week. She is a professional CNA and also
very active, using treadmill etc. That means she is burning
calories and has a good metabolism. For one thing , if someone
has severe constipation and the stool gets extremely hard, it
would block the intestines and she would have been in the
hospital for acute obstruction. If a plain X-ray of her abdomen is
is done , she would show distended bowels, gas build up and
retained stool. These can all be seen. You mention that her
abdomen is not bloated . She would be miserable if she has
not had a bowel movement or pass gas for a week , let alone
years. I would definitely have a XXXXXXX talk and really find out
why she wants to say this. If she is really having watery
stools mixed with urination and not distinguish the difference,
I really doubt that is the case for a nursing assistant.
If she needs help with constipation relief, I suggest she start
taking a PEG solution such as MiraLax or similar . She can
take this daily, one capful powder mixed with water or juice
of her choice , about 6-8 oz. After a day or two she should
start having results. If she has retained hard stool, this helps
to break it up as well.
I would also recommend that she has a complete set of blood
tests including Thyroid blood tests. Underactive Thyroid can
cause constipation.
I wish her well.
Follow-up: Eating normal and maintaining proper weight, not having BM in years. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
I am at the point in my life to "believe" what my wife says while I too cannot understand what is going on to say "it seems impossiblefor a person who is eating normal and maintaining properweight , not to have a BM in years" seems to be a quick and (as I have heard from other people on Healthboard) easy answer. I implore you doctor to either take a little time to research this or suggest a different Specialist for me to talk to. How can there be ladies out there that say they have? How is it I knew you would respond with the "typical" answer you did? Because other women have said that is exactly what their Dr.'s have said yet you expect me to believe it is a mind block or lack of being able to differentiate a watery bowel from urination? Truly? With all respect Dr. please research a little to see if this is an uncommon not well known situation as my research is limited to the internet and limited knowledge of research. There has been talk of something similar in China but I cannot find anything.
It is impossible Mr.N. We know people can have constipation
for a week or ten days, even if you stretch it may be two
weeks. Even in such cases may be they will have XXXXXXX small
hard stool. But, we will continue to research and let the
moderator know if there is any answer.
I wish her well.
Follow-up: Eating normal and maintaining proper weight, not having BM in years. Any suggestion? 2 hours later
I thank you very kindly in considering doing some research.
In some of my research what about leaky gut syndrome? Is that something? Or is it if she had it she would be sick by now? I am very puzzled as I am sure she is as well.
There is nothing like a leaky gut , because , with a leak
that would be a perforation or rupture and they would
end up with peritonitis and sepsis . It is not compatible
with life.
I am sorry, but I do wish you both well.