Eaten large dinner. Feeling uncomfortable. Endoscopy and colonoscopy done. What are the complication?

I am 48 year old male, non-smoker (quit 20 years ago), non-drinker. I had never had any digestive problems, nor any abdominal surgeries. Nine months ago, October 2011, I had been traveling all day and had not eaten, I ate a LARGE dinner when I got home as I was famished. I felt quite full, but continued to feel increasingly uncomfortable. Finally, in the middle of the night, I could not move my bowels, or pass gas, nor throw up. I went to the ER and CAT scan showed a small bowel blockage. I was admitted, 3liters of fluid was removed from my stomach via NG tube. Two days passed before the blockage resolved itself w/o intervention. I had an endoscopy, which noted that my bowel was stretched from the back up of fluid and food, but no cause was noted. Colonoscopy indicated a small polyp (pea sized) which was removed, but no cause. For 3 months I felt fine, but had some bouts of bloating and indigestion that I had never felt before. In early February, 2012, almost identical circumstances occurred. Travel, didn't eat, ate too much at dinner. This time I awoke with chest pains under my left rib and sternum. Went to ER. EKG normal, blood work normal, except for elevated lipase and bilirubin. Ultrasound showed no stones, but sludgy gall bladder. Referred back to GI doc. Upper GI with contrast was negative. Wireless endoscopy was negative. Referred to surgeon for gall bladder removal. Surgeon discovered Meckel's Diverticulum that was symptomatic, swollen, etc. and removed it during the surgery. Gallbladder was healthy, only mildly sludgy, but removed it anyway. Recovery was slow. Lipase and bilirubin came back down into normal range, high end of normal. I had been eating gb diet of low protein, low carb, low fat, mostly fruits vegetables and non fat yogurt, as well as walking 1 hour every day for pain relief. I had trouble incorporating regular food back into diet. I lost 50 lbs, 252 down to 202, on a 6 foot frame. I seemed to finally be doing better, outside from some bloating in May 2012. In XXXXXXX I developed pain, a burning sensation under my left shoulder blade. At first intermittent, but now constant, just varying in severity from a 2 to a 6. I had a CAT scan w/o contrast and an MRI with contrast at end of XXXXXXX 18 mm water filled cyst on left kidney, 5 mm water filled cyst on liver, 7 mm non-calcified nodule in lower right lung. No musculo-skeletal problem with shoulder blade. Pancreas was non-calcified and no growths or lesions. Doctor feels shoulder blade pain is referred from abdomen, but cannot say where. He doesn't at this time feel there is anything serious and for the last month has had me taking Prevacid, without any change in feeling. I walk 5 miles every day, I eat moderate portions, my weight has stablilized at 202. But, I still have discomfort, some bloating and feelings of anxiety that there is something we are overlooking here. Doc says Meckels likely caused my partial blockage, and my body has had difficulty adjusting without gall bladder. He doesn't know what is causing my pain, but says if it doesn't clear up in a few months, we can try another MRI. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions I can pursue? I just want to feel good again.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I understand your health concern.

Your current problem seems to be burning sensation and pain under the left shoulder blade.

The CAT scan and MRI have revealed a 18mm water filled cyst on left kidney, 5mm water filled cyst in Liver, 7 mm non calcified nodule in lower right lung. I suspect a chronic systemic inflammatory process in you like Tuberculosis or Sarcoidosis.

An irritation of the peritoneal lining itself can cause referred pain in the left shoulder.

Please continue to take Prevacid, it will help you in the long run. Any abdominal surgery will take up to 6 months for complete healing and recovery. Please be patient for some more time.

It is a good decision to try another MRI after 3 months. However, also consider the options that I mentioned. Speak to your treating surgeon about these.

Get a complete hemogram done along with ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate).

Please do write back for further discussion on this.