Ear,throat and chest infection,green mucous,klaricid,amoxicillin

I have been taking klaricid for a ear, throat and chest infection for 3 days, no improvement in fact is getting worse (started to cough up greenish mucus) can I swop to amoxicillin, without completing the Klaricid ?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

If you are not getting a response on taking klaricid for 3 days then you are unlikely to get relief on amoxycillin as the spectrum of coverage of amoxycillin is not as wide as clarithromycin ( klaricid).
Coughing up of greenish mucus most probably indicates pseudomonas or pneumococcus infection. These are likely to be resistant organisms. It is not wise to switch between antibiotics without the knowledge of the doctor.

My advise would be to go for re check with your GP / treating doctor and ask for culture sensitivity testing of your throat swab or the expectoration to find out the infecting organism and to know the antibiotics that will be best effective. Meanwhile continue taking klaricid and do warm saline gargles and steam inhalation at least twice daily to avoid that mucus deposition in your respiratory bronchioles causing further complications.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.