Ears ringing, trouble hearing, ear pressure. Worried about hearing loss

ENT Specialist
A couple of days ago I heard a loud ringing start in my ear that got louder and louder until it stopped suddenly. I noticed constant ringing in both my left and right ear not long after. It has not stopped since. The ringing is so loud at times that I have trouble hearing anything else, and is making it nearly impossible for me to sleep. It is so loud that I have trouble focusing on anything else. The frequency changes from time to time, but is always extremely loud. The only other discomfort is pressure XXXXXXX within my right ear. I cleaned my ears a couple of days ago with a cotton swab and upon placing the swab in my right ear it felt as if I had pushed something into the canal but nothing seems to be in there. The ringing is in both ears, which leads me to believe that this is not the cause of the ringing. This is very stressful and extremely frustrating. I'm worried about hearing loss, but would almost rather hear nothing than this constant high pitched noise in my ears.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that:
a. You ear drums are normal and your PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and Impedance Audiogram (Tympanometry) is normal (no middle ear problems or ear infection). Get an ear examination to rule out ear wax. This is one of the most common causes of tinnitus.
b. You have do not have pulsatile tinnitus.
c. Your blood pressure is within normal limits.
d. There is no vertigo or dizziness.
e. You do not have anemia, thyroid problems.
f. You did not have any major febrile illness, exposure to loud sounds, trauma to the ear (besides self ear cleaning) or strenuous exercise recently.

2. You have been investigated as per your age for example, atherosclerosis, cervical spondylosis and so on.

3. Kindly let me know the results of your investigations. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I must emphasize that in a vast majority of patients of tinnitus, the cause is never found. However there are further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.