Ears ringing after taking Marijuana, blacking out, tired, overweight. Was it a result of low BP? Family history of heart problems

Hi Doc,
I'm 22, Male, and an avid marijuana smoker. Last week, something happened to me for the second time so far. I smoked, and a bit later, ears started ringing, felt like I got way higher, and scrambled for sugar/drink of any sort, and ended up blacking out and falling over and was moaning or something for about 15-20 seconds then came to, and felt completely fine, but was not feeling the effects of the drug anymore at all. I was extremely tired, hadn't eaten almost anything since work the night before (overnights) except for some mcdonalds at like 3am. This occurred at about 1pm the next day after coming home from a funeral. This oddly happened 1-2 years ago on the exact same date. I am reasonably overweight, but do work a job where I get pretty good activity etc. I also eat pretty horribly. (fast food, not alot of fruit, etc).

I'm wondering if what I had was a result of low blood pressure....being too tired...or related to a heart problem, etc. There are a few heart problems on my dad's side of the family and have been kind of paranoid the last couple days because of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I was always told marijuana was relativity harmless, and the increased heart rate you encounter was equal to that of a brisk walk around the block and wouldnt be a threat to a reasonably healthy individual. I also had a checkup in november 2011 and everything was pretty ok. I had a diabetes check about 5 years ago and my iron levels etc were perfect.
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
From your description, it seems that you had a hypoglycemic attack due to prolonged fasting.
Taking marijuana further enhanced your metabolic rate and your blood sugar levels dropped further.
To avoid any such occurrences in future, avoid prolonged fasting, do take plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX energy drinks frequently and avoid having marijuana on an empty stomach. Such hypoglycemic attacks may be fatal sometimes.
It will be helpful to get a fasting blood glucose levels evaluated to rule out diabetes.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Ears ringing after taking Marijuana, blacking out, tired, overweight. Was it a result of low BP? Family history of heart problems 22 minutes later
How can an attack such as that be fatal? I've seen many posts on online forums about the exact same thing happening to a million other people and not one of them has ever reported a fatality or anything like that.

I do not wish to stop smoking marijuana, but obviously never want this to happen again. under what circumstances would this lead to a fatality?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Sudden and extreme decrease in blood glucose levels can cause death if any carbohydrate or glucose is not taken immediately. The treatment is easy but the complications are many if it remains untreated.
Do avoid prolonged fasting and get yourself screened for diabetes. Those who die are not there to tell you their stories on websites.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Ears ringing after taking Marijuana, blacking out, tired, overweight. Was it a result of low BP? Family history of heart problems 3 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for all your help. as a concluding question I guess I just have to ask is there really much concern for this happening again if I stick to a healthy diet, and eat properly throughout the day? How easy can this happen? How much do I really have to be eating? this would have probably happened to anyone who haven't eaten for 15-20 hours like I had and who had been up for over 15 hours, no?

As it stands, if you feel it is a big risk for someone in my position I would probably be proned to just stop smoking it. However, I've always known marijuana to be relatively harmless.

Thanks again for all your help. I will use this site again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The episode that happened with you was due to the prolonged fasting and can happen with anyone. Taking better care of yourself and regular balanced meals will be helpful. Such occurrences are rare- common only in diabetics.
So please do not worry.

Best regards.